Downloader.KPQ is a Trojan, which although seemingly inoffensive, can actually carry out attacks and intrusions.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it displays pop-up windows.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it changes the security settings of Internet Explorer, decreasing its security level.
Downloader.KPQ accesses several websites to download files, which it then runs. These can be any type of file, although they are normally malware.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- Its code is encrypted and it is only decrypted when it is going to run. Because of this, its code is not legible through a memory dump.
Downloader.KPQ uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.