|GaScript.Q is a virus that also has the characteristics of a worm. |
GaScript.Q gets into a computer via e-mail, the Internet, floppy disks, etc, and it spreads by inserting its code in other files and programs. Its effects can range from simply annoying to destructive.
Furthermore, due to its worm characteristics, GaScript.Q also spreads by sending out copies of itself. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, preventing users from working with the affected computer.
It causes information loss:
different types of documents such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it displays pop-up windows; causes system slowdowns.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It prevents scanning tools from running, such as Windows Registry Editor, FileMonitor, etc.
GaScript.Q uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.
- File infection: it infects different types of files, which are then distributed through any of the usual means: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.