Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It establishes a phone connection with a high rate number.
It displays pop-up messages when it runs, distracting users and affecting productivity.
It changes the security settings of Internet Explorer.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||April 5, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||April 5, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Dialer.GWQ is a dialer type malware. Dialers usually try to establish phone connections with high rate numbers, significantly increasing the phone bill of the affected user.
Dialer.GWQ affects computers that use a modem to connect to the Internet, as the virus modifies the Dial-up network access settings. It changes the telephone number provided by the ISP (Internet Service Provider), which is a local-rate number, to a high-rate number.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it displays pop-up windows.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it changes the security settings of Internet Explorer, decreasing its security level.
Dialer.GWQ uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
Dialer.GWQ is easy to recognize, as it shows the following symptoms:
- It creates shortcuts in the Windows Desktop.
- It installs icons in the System Tray.