The Systems Management Agent can be installed on a wide range of operating systems
Supported Operating Systems
- Home versions of Windows are not supported.
- Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit
- Windows 7 32/64-bit with KB2999226 and KB2533623 updates installed
- Windows 8/8.1 32/64-bit with KB2999226 update installed
- Windows 10 32/64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 & R2 32/64-bit (Standard editions) with KB2999226 and KB2533623 updates installed
- Windows Server 2012 64-bit & Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit with KB2999226 update installed
- Windows Server 2016 64-bit
- Windows Server 2019 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 (not R2) does not support installation of Microsoft .NET Core and cannot be used for SNMP monitoring.
- Windows Server 2016 64-bit: The Agent will work on Windows Server Core.
- For operating systems that can have extended support, Microsoft only supports the latest build of that operating system. Click the plus sign to see the supported systems.
+ Microsoft status - Microsoft status
|Windows XP||No||Unsupported since 2016||Link|
|Windows Server 2003/R2||No||Unsupported since 2015||Link|
|Windows Vista||No||Unsupported since 2017||Link|
|Windows 8||No||Unsupported since 2016||Link|
|Windows Server 2008, build 6003||Varies||Unsupported since 2020 on physical hardware; supported on Azure until 2023||Link|
|Windows 7 7601 (Service Pack 1)||Varies||Extended support until 2023 is available for a fee from Microsoft||Link|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 7601||Varies||Unsupported since 2020 on physical hardware; supported on Azure until 2023||Link|
|Windows Server 2012||Yes||Mainstream support until 2023||Link|
|Windows 8.1||Yes||Mainstream support until 2023||Link|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||Yes||Mainstream support until 2023||Link|
|Windows 10||Yes||MS will auto-update unsupported Windows 10 builds||Link|
|Windows Server 2016||Yes||Mainstream support until 2027||Link|
|Windows Server 2019||Yes||Mainstream support until 2029||Link|
- The PCSM agent has been certified on macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.15 Catalina and macOS Big Sur 11.0 (including M1 ARM processors).
- Limited support is included for macOS 10.12 Sierra and macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
- The PCSM agent has been certified on the following versions:
- Fedora: latest two 64-bit versions from version 28
- Debian: latest two 64-bit Long-Term Support (LTS) versions from version 8 with libicu-dev, libssl-dev, and libcurl3 packages
- CentOS: latest two 64-bit versions from version 7 with libicu package
- Ubuntu: current 64-bit Long-Term Support (LTS) versions from 16.04.6 with libicu-dev and libssl-dev packages. Refer to list of releases.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 64-bit and later versions using Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL)
- The PCSM Agent requires that a full runtime version of an open source tool set called Mono is installed on each Linux device. Supported Mono versions: Mono 3 and later. If Mono is already installed on the device, the installation script will not attempt to install it. However, if the already installed Mono version is not supported, the Agent will not work. Please also see further notes on the supported Linux versions further down. The Linux Agent is undergoing a gradual process of migration that, when completed, will remove the requirement for the Mono framework. When this change is complete it will be announced. The Mono framework will remain a requirement until further notice.
- The PCSM Agent requires an operating system that is compatible with Microsoft .NET Core. While some ARM distributions are supported for the 32-bit architecture, generally a 64-bit version of Linux is required. Refer to this compatibility list.
- Fedora and Debian require yum-utils to be manually installed prior to the Agent. When the Agent is being installed, the Linux installation script is able to recognize the supported Linux versions and install Mono from the official repository.
- Debian: The Agent may work with any Debian-based distribution but support is only provided for the ones listed.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Mono can be installed from EPEL.
- Limited support is included in earlier versions of the aforementioned.
- Smartphones and tablets
- iOS 7 and later versions
- Android 2.3.3 and later versions
- Android 10 devices operate in an audit-only functionality.
End of Support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
Support for TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1 across is discontinued in order to increase connection security.
This change renders devices running Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 unable to connect to the Systems Management service.
Agents on these systems will remain in a "connecting" state but will no longer be able to establish any communication to the Systems Management service.
IMPORTANT! It is strongly recommended that all users running legacy systems upgrade them in order to continue being compatible with Systems Management.
Detailed Windows requirements
The PCSM service has a minimum requirement of Microsoft .NET Full Framework version 4.0.3.
- .NET 4.0.3 or higher Client Profile version is not supported.
- Windows version 6.2 (Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012) and above meet installation requirements by default.
The PCSM Agent installer performs prerequisite checks when executing on Windows version 6.1 (Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2) or below. Required software found to be missing will be downloaded and silently installed in the background.
Downloaded files are located in the PCSM Agent installer's current directory. To avoid repeated downloads, the installer will check for the existence of files in this location before downloading.
If a detected .NET Framework version is higher than 4.0.3, then no further checks will be performed and the PCSM Agent installation will begin.
- If the download and installation of prerequisite software is required, it will take a considerable amount of time depending on internet bandwidth and device specification. It's normal to wait an hour in these cases for an installation to complete. Due to the silent nature of the PCSM Agent installer, no visual feedback will be present during this time.
- Existing PCSM Agents that do not meet the .NET Framework 4.0.3 minimum requirement will not automatically update. The 2017-1 .NET Minimum Requirement Utility [WIN] ComStore Component is designed for such scenarios. Devices still running version 2 of the .NET Framework after the 2017-1 release will retain a degree of functionality, but support for such devices will not be provided.
For further information on .NET Framework versions, refer to .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies
.Network node requirements for ESXi monitoring
- The network node device performing ESXi monitoring must run on Windows operating system and have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7 or higher.
- The network node device performing ESXi monitoring can run on a guest machine on the ESXi host. Please note that the downside of monitoring from a guest is that all monitoring stops when the host goes down.
- ESXi monitoring is supported across subnets, so the network node device does not have to be on the same subnet as the ESXi device but it must be on the same network to be reachable.
Network node requirements for SNMP monitoring
IMPORTANT! The network node device performing SNMP monitoring must be compatible with the Microsoft .NET Core runtime.
NOTE: The Agent is not compatible with the Microsoft .NET Core runtime standalone installation. The Agent will download and use a packaged version when prerequisites are met.
SNMP monitors configured on network nodes that do not support .NET Core will automatically raise an alert in order to bring the issue to attention. The alert raised is worded as follows:
"SNMP monitor is only supported by Agents with a compatible .NET runtime. For more details see dat.to/rmmagentreq."
If a subsequent two-hourly .NET Core prerequisite check is successful, the alert will be resolved.
NOTE: Network node devices that do not use SNMP monitoring do not have to meet the .NET Core runtime requirement.Windows
.NET Core is natively supported by all modern Windows operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
The following legacy Windows operating systems are supported with Windows Updates KB2999226 and KB2533623 installed:
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
The following legacy Windows operating systems are supported with Windows Update KB2999226 installed:
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012 R2
macOS and Linux
- Windows Update KB2999226 is packaged with Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 or above. This includes Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable.
- Agents will check for .NET Core 3.1 compatibility at startup and subsequently every 2 hours. If the check is successful, a new binary will be downloaded and the Agent process will restart.
.NET Core also runs on macOS and Linux. The PCSM Agent running on these operating systems already uses .NET Core to function.Internet Protocol
The PCSM Agent communicates with the platform using the IPv4 protocol.
NOTE: IPv6 connections are not supported at this time.
Consider reviewing the following Support articles: