Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Is my computer infected by Recovery?
Bear in mind that Recovery is not really a virus but a Hacking Tool. Firstly, make sure that your Panda solution detects this type of threat by checking our comparative table on Panda Products.
In order to make absolutely sure that Recovery has affected your computer, carry out a full scan of your computer using a Panda Product detecting Hacking Tools, after checking that it is updated. For detailed information on how to update your solution, check the User Guide corresponding to it.
If you do not have a Panda product detecting Hacking Tools, or you are not a registered Panda Security client, check if the files associated to Recovery and described in section Means of infection exist in your computer.
How to remove Recovery?
Keep in mind that Recovery is not really a virus but a Hacking Tool. So make sure that your Panda solution detects and removes this type of threat. For more detailed information, check the comparative table on Panda Products.
If you have a Panda product detecting Hacking Tools:
If your Panda product detects Recovery during the scan, it will automatically offer you the option of deleting it. Do this by following the program's instructions.
If you do not have a Panda product detecting Hacking Tools or you are not a registered Panda Security client:
In order to restore the original configuration of your computer, follow the instructions below:
- Delete the entry that Recovery has created in the Windows Registry, mentioned in section Means of infection.
- Restart the computer.
In case that you do not have a product of such characteristics at your disposal, we strongly recommend you to consider the benefits of purchasing a solution detecting all types of malware.
- For instructions on how to modify the Windows Registry, click here.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows Millenium, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows XP, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
How can I protect my computer from Recovery?
In order to keep your computer protected, bear the following tips in mind:
- Install a good antimalware solution in your computer detecting not only viruses, but other threats such as spyware. Click here to buy the Panda Product that best suits your needs.
- Keep your antimalware solution updated. If automatic updates are available, configure your antimalware solution to use them.
- Keep your permanent antimalware protection enabled at all times.
For more detailed information about how to protect your computer against viruses and other threats, click here.