Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Is my computer infected by Blaster?
In order to make absolutely sure that Blaster has not affected your computer, you have the following options:
- Carry out a full scan of your computer using Panda Antivirus, after checking that it is updated. If it isn't and you are a registered Panda Software client, update it by clicking here.
- Check the computer with Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software's free, online scanner, which will quickly detect any possible viruses.
How to remove Blaster?
If Panda Antivirus or Panda ActiveScan detects Blaster during the scan, it will automatically offer you the option of deleting it. Do this by following the program's instructions.
In order to prevent your computer from being affected again by Blaster, protect it by applying the security patch, available through Microsoft's website. Access the web page for downloading the patch.
Note: While the security patch is not installed, your machine will present the vulnerability which Blaster exploits in order to affect it, and it will restart itself whenever you are connected to the Internet. Keep in mind that, in case you would reformat your computer and reinstall the Windows 2003/XP/2000/NT operating system, it is necessary to reapply the security patch, in order not to be affected again.
As an extra precaution run our free utility Panda QuickRemover, which will automatically repair any damage that Blaster may have caused in your computer. In order to do this, follow these instructions:
If you are a Panda Software client:
If you have a stand-alone computer or a small computer network, click here.
If you have a large network protected with the antiviruses deployed through Panda Administrator, click here.
If you are not a Panda Software client:
- If you have Netscape Navigator installed and experience problems downloading Panda QuickRemover, follow these instructions: 1 Right-click on the icon. 2 Select the option Save link as.... 3 Select the folder in which to save it.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows Millenium, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows XP, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
How can I protect my computer from Blaster?
In order to keep your computer protected, bear the following tips in mind:
- If you have a Windows 2003/XP/2000/NT computer, download and apply the security patch from the Microsoft website. Access the web page for downloading the patch.
- Install a good antivirus in your computer. Click here to get the Panda antivirus solution that best suits your needs.
- Keep your antivirus updated. If automatic updates are available, configure your antivirus to use them.
- Keep your permanent antivirus protection enabled at all times.
For more detailed information about how to protect your computer against viruses and other threats, click here.