Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Threat Level Damage Distribution
Is my computer infected by Klez.I?
First of all, check if you have received an e-mail message with the characteristics described in the section Means of transmission.
In order to make absolutely sure that Klez.I has not affected your computer, you have the following options:
- Carry out a full scan of your computer using Panda Antivirus, after checking that it is updated. If it isn't and you are a registered Panda Software client, update it by clicking here.
- Check the computer with Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software's free, online scanner, which will quickly detect any possible viruses.
How to remove Klez.I?
Above all, if you have received a message with any of the characteristics described in the section Means of transmission, do not view the message through the Preview Pane, do not run the attached file and delete the message, making sure that you also delete it from the Deleted Items folder.
Then, if your antivirus detects Klez.I during the scan, it will automatically offer you the option of deleting it. Do this by following the program's instructions.
As an extra precaution run our free utility Panda QuickRemover, which will automatically repair any damage that Klez.I may have caused in your computer. In order to do this, follow these instructions:
If you are a Panda Software client:
- If you have a stand-alone computer or a small computer network, click here.
- If you have a large computer network protected with the antiviruses deployed through Panda Administrator, click here.
If you are not a Panda Software client:
- If you have a computer network, you should disconnect the network cable from all the servers and workstations in order to prevent them from being infected again during the disinfection process.
- Carry out the following disinfection steps in each computer in your network.
1. Download the free utility Panda QuickRemover by clicking on the icon below:
Save the file in any folder you want in your computer.
2. Run Panda QuickRemover by double-clicking on the file and follow the instructions.
Even if Panda QuickRemover indicates that it hasn’t detected any active viruses, click on Continue in order to perform a full scan.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Check that Klez.I has been removed by running Panda QuickRemover again.
5. Carry out a full scan of your computer, including all your e-mail, using Panda ActiveScan.
- If you have Netscape Navigator installed and experience problems downloading Panda QuickRemover, follow these instructions: 1 Right-click on the icon. 2 Select the option Save link as.... 3 Select the folder in which to save it.
- One of the characteristics of Klez.I is that it can delete parts of certain programs, including antivirus programs. If any application has been affected, it is recommendable to re-install it.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows Millenium, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows XP, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
How can I protect my computer from Klez.I?
In order to keep your computer protected, bear the following tips in mind:
- If you have filtering tools installed, configure them to reject messages with the characteristics described in the section Means of transmission. If, in spite of doing this, you receive the message that contains the virus: do not open it, do not run the attached file and delete it, making sure that you also delete it from the Deleted Items folder.
- If you have Internet Explorer (version 5.01 or 5.5) installed, update it from Microsoft's website (www.microsoft.com).
- As a temporary measure, it is advisable to disable the Preview Pane through the View menu. Do not display the message that contains the virus using this tool.
- Install a good antivirus in your computer. Click here to get the Panda antivirus solution that best suits your needs.
- Keep your antivirus updated. If automatic updates are available, configure your antivirus to use them.
- Keep your permanent antivirus protection enabled at all times.
For more detailed information about how to protect your computer against viruses and other threats, click here.