Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Is my computer infected by Stoned.Spirit?
Check that you have not booted the computer from borrowed floppy disks and if it has problems starting up.
In order to make absolutely sure that Stoned.Spirit has not infected your computer, you have the following options:
- Carry out a full scan of your computer using Panda Antivirus, after checking that it is updated. If it isn’t and you are a registered Panda Security client, update it by clicking here.
- Check the computer with Panda ActiveScan, Panda Security’s free, online scanner, which will quickly detect any possible viruses.
How to remove Stoned.Spirit?
If your Panda Antivirus or Panda ActiveScan detects Stoned.Spirit during the scan, follow the instructions below to remove the virus:
- Insert a clean boot disk in the floppy disk drive with the computer switched off. It is recommendable to use a boot disk created using your antivirus.
- Boot the computer and wait for the system prompt A:\> to appear.
- Scan the hard drive and all your floppy disks with your antivirus. If you have Panda Antivirus installed, write the following:
- Press Enter.
- When Stoned.Spirit is detected, confirm you want to delete it.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows Millenium, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows XP, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
How can I protect my computer from Stoned.Spirit?
In order to keep your computer protected, bear the following tips in mind:
- Scan all the floppy disks you use with your antivirus.
- Write-protect all your floppy disks by sliding the tab at the back upwards.
- Install a good antivirus in your computer. Click here to get the Panda antivirus solution that best suits your needs.
- Keep your antivirus updated. If automatic updates are available, configure your antivirus to use them.
- Keep your permanent antivirus protection enabled at all times
For more detailed information about how to protect your computer against viruses, click here.