Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Is my computer infected by Sircam?
In order to make absolutely sure that Sircam has not infected your computer, you have the following options:
Carry out a full scan of your computer using Panda Antivirus, after checking that it is updated. If it isn’t and you are a registered Panda Software client, update it by clicking here.
Check the computer with Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software’s free, online scanner, which will quickly detect any possible viruses.
How to remove Sircam?
Above all, if you have received a message with any of the characteristics described in the section Means of transmission, do not run the attached file and delete the message, making sure that you also delete it from the Deleted Items folder.
Then, if your antivirus detects Sircam during the scan, it will automatically offer you the option of deleting it. Do this by following the program’s instructions.
As an extra precaution run our free utility Panda QuickRemover, which will automatically repair any damage that Sircam may have caused in your computer. In order to do this, follow these instructions:
If you are a Panda Software client:
- If you have a stand-alone computer or a small computer network, click here.
- If you have a large computer network protected with the antiviruses deployed through Panda Administrator, click here.
If you are not a Panda Software client:
- Download the free utility Panda QuickRemover by clicking on the icon below.
- Save the file in any folder you want in your computer.
- Run Panda QuickRemover by double-clicking on the file and follow the instructions.
Sircam can sometimes prevent files with an EXE extension from being run. This means that you will not be able to run many of the programs installed on your computer (including the antivirus program). Similarly, you will not be able to access the Internet and download the Panda QuickRemover utility. If this happens, we recommend downloading it to another computer, copying it to floppy disk and running it in the infected computer from the floppy disk.
In these cases, it can also be disinfected manually. For information on how to do this, click here.
- If you have Netscape Navigator installed and experience problems downloading Panda QuickRemover, follow these instructions: 1 Right-click on the icon. 2 Select the option Save link as.... 3 Select the folder in which to save it.
- It is recommendable to configure the antivirus to scan files with LNK and PIF extensions. Consult the antivirus user guide for information on how to do this.
- Then, run Panda QuickRemover, we advise looking for files with a VIR extension and deleting those found.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows Millenium, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
- After deleting this malware by following the specified steps, if your computer runs Windows XP, click here to find out how to eliminate it from the _Restore folder.
How can I protect my computer from Sircam?
In order to keep your computer protected, bear the following tips in mind:
- If you have filtering tools installed, configure them to reject messages with the characteristics described in the section Means of transmission. If, in spite of doing this, you receive the message that contains the virus: do not open it, do not run the attached file and delete it, making sure that you also delete it from the Deleted Items folder.
- Install a good antivirus in your computer. Click here to get the Panda antivirus solution that best suits your needs.
- Keep your antivirus updated. If automatic updates are available, configure your antivirus to use them.
- Keep your permanent antivirus protection enabled at all times.
For more detailed information about how to protect your computer against viruses, click here.