Panda GateDefender Integra gives you the option to configure the anti-spam protection to Delete or Redirect the message for messages classified as spam or probably spam.
However, Panda GateDefender Integra will only delete email messages that use SMTP. If email messages and news are received via POP3, IMAP4, or NNTP, Panda GateDefender Integra will not carry out any action, allowing the messages to reach users’ mailboxes intact.
The reason for this behavior is a limitation in the option to send email messages in the POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP protocols. The mail client requests the number of messages to download for a certain mail account from the POP3 server (outside the network). The server replies to the query, specifying a specific number, for example, one hundred messages. Then, the client requests the messages and the server sends the one hundred messages.
However, if Panda GateDefender Integra eliminates just one email message during transmission of the messages because it classifies it as spam or because it contains malware, the mail client will return an error and prevent all the messages from being received.
How to resolve this problem
From the administration console, Panda GateDefender Integra allows you to define configuration parameters to minimize the effects of the limitations of POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP:
- Go to the Panda GateDefender Integra administration console.
- Select Anti-malware and filtering in the menu on the left.
- Under Action to take with messages classified as spam, check that the option Delete or Redirect the message is selected.
- Then, select the Insert the following text in the subject check box. The text that will be inserted by default is [SPAM], but you can insert any other text you want.
- Finally, create a rule in your POP3/IMAP4/NNTP mail client so that all the email messages received that contain the previously defined text in the subject are deleted. If a message contains an infected attachment, the message is not deleted but the attached file is.
After following these steps, Panda GateDefender Integra will filter messages flagged as spam, or probably spam, allowing them to be deleted.