Bitly, the popular URL shortening service, has published an urgent security warning on its official blog explaining that it suspects that users’ account credentials have been compromised.
The company hasn’t provided many details regarding this apparent data breach, stating only that they have ‘reason to believe’ that there has been unauthorized access to some accounts.
In a statement from CEO Mark Josephson, they announced that they had disconnected all users’ Facebook and Twitter accounts as a precautionary measure, urging them to reconnect their social media accounts.
Steps to secure your Bitly account
- Log in to your bitly account. Click “Your Settings” and then the “Advanced” tab.
- Click the “Reset” link next to “Legacy API key”.
- A new API key will be generated. Copy it and change it in all applications connected to Bitly (buffer, dlvr.it, etc.). These can include social publishers, mobile apps and share buttons.
- Go to “Profile” and change your password.
- Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can see them in the “Connected Accounts” tab in “Your Settings”.
There is not much information available at the moment, we’ll let you know as soon as there are new updates to share.