Malware refers to all files with content that could be malicious for a computer system. This is not just limited to viruses, as there are many other types of files that can cause serious damage to computers or networks.
The term malware refers to a wide range of threats:
- Viruses: They destroy information and replicate automatically.
- Worms: They make copies of themselves and send themselves massively from infected computers to all contacts in the address book, for example.
- Trojans: They can open ports to a hacker who can take remote control of an infected computer.
- Spyware: They steal personal information stored on a computer.
- Phishing: This involves sending email messages that appear to come from reliable sources (such as banks) and that try to get users to reveal confidential banking information. To do this, the messages usually include a link to spoofed web pages. In this way, the user, thinking that they are in a trusted site, enters the requested information, which is really falling into the hands of the fraudster.
- Blended threats: The latest epidemics have involved attacks using a combination of threats (blended threats).
- Dialers: They change dial-up connections to premium-rate numbers without the user's permission.
- Jokes: These are time-wasting tricks or jokes.
- Other risks: Certain software is not classified as malware, but can pose a risk to the security of corporate networks if it is used.
- Hacking tools: all tools that can be used to steal confidential information or gain unauthorized access, etc.
- Security risks: applications that pose a risk to security and which are not classified as viruses. For example, a program for creating viruses or Trojans.
The anti-malware protection in the Panda GateDefender appliances blocks all these types of threats at perimeter level. This means that the malicious code never enters the corporate network.
Combination of proactive protection and reactive protection
The anti-malware protection in Panda GateDefender combines 2 powerful techniques to provide the most complete protection:
- Identifier files: Reactive protection based on a list of known malware which is automatically updated every 15 minutes.
- Genetic Heuristic Engine: Scanning of the code of all files that pass through the device to determine if they are potentially dangerous on the basis of typical malware code structure.
The combination of reactive and proactive techniques reduces the risk window and makes Panda perimeter devices the most up-to-the-minute network protection.
Anti-malware protection in operation
Implementation Involves the following phases:
- Installation: Configured in no more than 15 minutes thanks to the ease-of-use of the console.
- Scanning and disinfection: After installation, it immediately scans all inbound and outbound traffic, applying the actions defined by the administrator.
- Constant updates: Every 15 minutes the malware signature file is updated automatically and transparently.
Action on malware. The administrator decides what action to take on any malware detected:
- Disinfect: The file with the malware will be disinfected
- Delete: The infected file will be deleted.
- If the malware is contained in an attachment in an SMTP email, the options include:
- Deleting the entire message.
- Deleting just the attachment.
Scanning. The administrator decides on the configuration of the protection:
- Protocols to scan: HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP4 and/or NNTP.
- Types of malware detected:
- Trusted sites : Internal domains excluded from the anti-malware scan to improve performance.
- Complete protection: It prevents all types of malware from entering the network by scanning the six most widely used communication protocols (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP4 and NNTP).
- Improved network efficiency: Reduces the workload on company servers by eliminating unnecessary traffic.
- Prevents damage to corporate image: Stops malware from being sent out from the company and prevents installation of programs that can do this.
- Rapid Return on Investment: Prevents saturation of network resources and loss of productivity of employees. Hands-free operation minimizes administrator tasks.