Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to gain remote access to the affected computer. It spreads and affects other computers.
|First detected on:||Feb. 27, 2008|
|Detection updated on:||Feb. 27, 2008|
|Sdbot.LRQ is a worm with that has backdoor characteristics. Sdbot.LRQ spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, thus preventing users from working on their computers.|
Furthermore, due to its backdoor characteristics, Sdbot.LRQ allows hackers to gain remote access to the affected computer. Therefore, hackers will be able to carry out actions that compromise user confidentiality and impede the tasks carried out on the computer.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
passwords saved by certain Windows services.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware; it awaits remote-control orders received through
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Sdbot.LRQ uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.