Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It generates a large amount of network traffic activity with the consequent consumption of bandwidth.
It downloads files from several websites.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||Oct. 11, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Oct. 11, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Downloader.KUF is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
Downloader.KUF accesses several websites to download files, which it then runs. These can be any type of file, although they are normally malware.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Downloader.KUF uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
Downloader.KUF uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.