Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It causes the slowdown of the system, preventing planned tasks from being carried out.
, via mapped drives, through shared network resources, by infecting files that are then distributedand also by being downloaded by other malware.
|First detected on:||Sept. 25, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Nov. 5, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
W32/Viking.AR is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
W32/Viking.AR uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.
- File infection: it infects different types of files, which are then distributed through any of the usual means: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.
- It is dropped or downloaded to the computer by other malware specimens, for example: Viking.AR.
W32/Viking.AR uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.
- Prepending: it enters its code at the beginning of the file it infects. By doing this, it ensures that the virus is run every time the infected file is executed, but without interfering the functioning of the file.