Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It carries out actions that decrease the security level of the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, through instant messaging.
|First detected on:||July 5, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||July 5, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Lewor.AH is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware; it opens one or more ports to allow remote access to the computer and takes action that compromises user confidentiality.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
Lewor.AH uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Instant messaging: it sends links pointing to a copy of itself to all users included in the infected user's contacts list.