Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It establishes a phone connection with a high rate number.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||June 15, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 14, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Dialer.HHE is a dialer type malware. Dialers usually try to establish phone connections with high rate numbers, significantly increasing the phone bill of the affected user.
Dialer.HHE affects computers that use a modem to connect to the Internet, as the virus modifies the Dial-up network access settings. It changes the telephone number provided by the ISP (Internet Service Provider), which is a local-rate number, to a high-rate number.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
Dialer.HHE uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- It is dropped or downloaded to the computer by other malware specimens, for example: Downloader.JET, Downloader.KDK, Dialer, Downloader.LLX.
Dialer.HHE is easy to recognize, as it shows the following symptoms:
- It creates shortcuts in the Windows Desktop.