Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to get into the affected computer.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It carries out actions that decrease the security level of the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It does not spread automatically using its own means.
|First detected on:||April 25, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Feb. 23, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Spammer.U is a Trojan, which although seemingly inoffensive, can actually carry out attacks and intrusions.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
- On remote sites: it mass mails junk mail (spam).
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware; it changes system permissions, decreasing the security level.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
Spammer.U uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- It is dropped or downloaded to the computer by other malware specimens, for example: Downloader.KDP.