Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It awaits remote-control orders to carry out.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, via IRC, via mapped drives.
|First detected on:||March 23, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||March 23, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Gaobot.MQH is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it converts the computer into a platform for taking malicious action surreptitiously: spam sending, launch of Denial of Service attacks, malware distribution, etc.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
Gaobot.MQH uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.