MS06-012 is not categorized as virus, worm, Trojan or backdoor. It is a group of critical vulnerabilities in several versions of Office, which allows arbitrary code to be remotely executed in the vulnerable computer.
Affected versions are:
- Office XP Service Pack 3.
- Office 2000 Service Pack 3.
- Office 2003 Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2: Excel 2003 and Excel 2003 Viewer.
- Works Suite 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001 and 2000.
- Office X for Mac: Excel X.
- Office 2004 for Mac: Excel 2004.
If exploited successfully, MS06-012 allows hackers to gain remote control of the affected computer with the same privileges as the logged on user. If this user had administrator rights, the hacker could take complete control of the system: create, modify or delete files, install programs, create new user accounts, etc.
These vulnerabilities are usually exploited by creating a specially crafted file that can be sent via email or hosted in a web page.
If you have any of the vulnerable versions mentioned above, it is recommendable to download and apply the security patch for this vulnerability. Click here to access the web page for downloading the patch.