Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
|Alias:||Slagent, NaviHelper, Magi,Trojan.Skintrim,|
It displays pop-up messages when it runs, distracting users and affecting productivity.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It does not spread automatically using its own means.
|First detected on:||March 9, 2005|
|Detection updated on:||June 17, 2010|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Adware refers to programs that display advertising using any means: pop-ups, banners, changes to the browser home page or search page, etc. The advertisements could be associated with the products or services offered by the creator of the program or by third-parties.
Adware can be installed in a number of ways, on some occasions without users' consent, and either with or without users' knowledge of its function.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it displays pop-up windows.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
NaviPromo uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- It is dropped or downloaded to the computer by other malware specimens, for example: Wbmediaplayer.