Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Lineage.LKR spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs. It has damaging effects on the affected computer.
It avoids being detected by the user by using the following techniques:
- Techniques included in its code to hide its files and processes while it is active.
- It injects itself into running processes so that no unusual processes are seen.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
- Passwords saved by certain Windows services.
It causes a loss of productivity in the local network to which the compromised computer belongs:
- It generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
Means of transmission
Propagation through the exploits of remote vulnerabilities:
Lineage.LKR carries out the following process:
- It spreads by attacking IP addresses obtained at random or from the network to which the infected computer belongs.
- It tries to access the IP addresses under attack by exploiting an existing vulnerability or through an open port.
- If it does this, it downloads a copy of itself onto the vulnerable computer.
Propagation via mapped drives:
Lineage.LKR checks if the infected computer is connected to a network.
If so, it makes an inventory of all mapped drives and creates a copy of itself in each of them.
Propagation through shared network resources:
Lineage.LKR checks if the infected computer is connected to a network. If so, it tries to spread to the shared network drives.
To do this, it tries to gain access to these shared drives, using typical or easily guessed passwords.
Distribution of infected files:
Lineage.LKR does not spread automatically using its own means, but infects files of the following types:
They reach computers when previously infected files are distributed, entering computers through any of the usual channels: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.
Lineage.LKR has the following additional characteristics:
- It is 212031 bytes in size.